The Seabird Club
Yachting has been an enjoyable part of life in the East Bay since the
early years of settlement. The Sea Bird Club was one of the first yacht
clubs in the area. Founded in 1875, the group held annual regattas on
the placid waters of San Leandro Bay. Most of the boats in the club's
fleet were small sloops. Members resided both in Alameda and in Oakland.
There was never a clubhouse, and the "Sea Birds" disbanded around 1880.
"Walk Along the Water"
© Oakland Museum of California, used with permission.
back to history map