Oakland Naval Supply Depot
Navy came first came to the waterfront thanks to the city's generosity.
In 1936, after decades of lobbying by the Pacific Fleet command, Oakland
voters agreed to donate 390 Bay front acres on the Middle Harbor for a
naval supply center.
Commissioned in 1941, the Depot had grown by the end of World War II
into the largest facility of its kind in the world. It was called a
"City within a City" because of the stores, banks, police department and
even baseball teams that served its 14,000 workers.
Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room
"Walk Along the Water"
© Oakland Museum of California, used with permission.
Update: In 1999, the Navy transferred the Oakland Naval Supply
Depot property to the Port of Oakland. In 2004, Middle Harbor
Shoreline Park opened on a part of the site after
innovative development by the Port of Oakland. Bill Threlfall,
Waterfront Action, 2009
Middle Harbor Shoreline Park -
Park from Dredging Spoils - Bay Crossings
Naval Supply Depot History - East Bay Regional Parks
back to history map