The City Takes Action on the
by a $2.5 million bond issue approved by the voters in 1909, the City of
Oakland undertook extensive improvements to its waterfront in the years
1910-1918. Wharves were built or repaired at Livingston, Franklin and
Clay Streets. Spur tracks were built out from the main Southern Pacific
line to serve waterfront wharves. Dredging of the inner harbor deepened
ship channels from the mouth of the Estuary to Brooklyn Basin as well as
from the main channel in to the individual wharves.
On the western waterfront, the city constructed a long bulkhead wall
between the SP Mole and the Key Route pier that enclosed 400 acres of
marshes. Wharves were built and ship channels were dredged. The dredge
material was used for land fill in the marshes behind the bulkhead.
"Walk Along the Water"
© Oakland Museum of California, used with permission.
back to history map